I’m back with yet another cake decorating adventure. As we all know, last Sunday was the super bowl 51. I don’t particularly care about American Football but I do like a good party and my friends care… a lot! So I baked a cake. In 4 hours, I made a cake to take our friend’s Super Bowl party and it was a success. Super easy to make, simple tastes, and without most allergy triggers, this cake is great to take to a party because it should please almost everyone. No crazy flavors! And if you have a friend who is allergic to almost everything, it’s as safe as it gets.
Ingredients (Wilton recipe)
3 cups sifted cake flour;
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder;
1/2 teaspoons salt;
1 3/4 cups sugar;
2/3 cup butter or margarine;
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla;
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans and line with waxed paper or parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Cream sugar and butter together until light.
3. Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Continue beating one minute. Spread batter evenly in prepared pans.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. I used raspberry jam for my filling.
For Frosting (Wilton recipe):
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
4 cups of castor sugar
1. Beat together the first two ingredients until they change into a fluffy white texture.
2. Add the next three (slowly, otherwise you’ll have a cloud of sugar everywhere…trust me, ask my husband.)
3. Add water until reaching desired consistency.
Split frosting into 2 batches (3/4 and 1/4): one is going to be to frost the main cake – medium consistency with Kelly green coloring; and the other to write and draw in white (thin consistency). Tips used: 104, 3, 32, 1M.
Now, I know this is an outrage but not all of us have a million hours to make a lot of different flavored frostings. So I bought chocolate betty Crocker frosting to make the football… and it was delicious 😉 I also had an old red icing laying around I used to pop some flowers in and some additional color to the cake. But this is my personal taste, you do you!
Follow me on Instagram (@blezinha) and Pinterest (baking_mammy) for more updates!